Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

A Tale of Two Cities


Mumbai


Mumbai - the city of dreams, where Millions of people arrive every day with hopes- hopes to accomplish their dreams.  Mumbaai, which is located on the west cost of India, in the state of Maharashtra, is the financial hub of the country.


Pune

Whereas Pune, which is located in the heart of state Maharashtra is the cultural, educational and IT hub.

Both these cities are very close to each other in terms of distance as well as manner and both these cities are very close to me too. Because I belong to Mumbai and my heart Belongs to Pune. Yes my Heart because MR. R has just shifted to Pune for his further studies and this is how I got acquainted with this cultural city.

It all started in Feb. with the arrival of spring. Spring which marks the beginning, and in this year, in the month of Feb with springs my odysseys to Pune were begun. I had been to Pune long back, when I was a kid.

And that day in FEB, it was like I was visiting Pune for the first time after ages. I left the home to begin my journey in the dawn with a hope and desire to spend few more extra hrs with Mr. R by reaching there early.

Previously two decades ago it use to take 5 hrs to reach Pune from Mumbai, but now Thanks to Shivnery bus service (between Mumbai – Pune), the journey now just takes 3 hrs. Though both the cities are close to each other, there is a considerable difference between them that makes them both unique.

In Mumbai when I left, it was cold but as usual Mum had its warmth and humidity, but as I landed in Pune OMG!!! It was chilly and the weather was so dry.

Coincidentally that day it was Shiv Jayanti and the entire city was colored in the shades of Shivaji Maharaj's glory.. (about whom I had already mentioned in my previous post). Huge saffron flags were raised all over the city radiating it with saffron luminance. And at the junction of every street large loud speakers were placed playing the Marathi songs called “Pawda” specially sung to describe Shivaji Maharaj’s bravery, victorious achievements and his unique impressive ways of administration.

In comparable to Pune Shiv Jayanti in Mumbai is not very grand, indeed it’s nothing before Pune. "Yes Nothing". But one thing for sure you will definitely find saffron flags here, only near Sena Bhavan and near Mantralaya. The reason behind this is Mumbai is a Mega city and moreover it’s secular because it represents the entire country.

In Mumbai Traffic is like nuisance, that’s why people here prefer to travel by trains and so Mumbai Local rocks. In Pune as there are no local trains, people are totally depended on their two wheelers. Therefore roads in Pune are very congested by the two wheeler traffic and traffic in Pune is very haphazard. Punekars are so casual about traffic that in Pune the traffic rules, over the traffic rules. So in order to enforce the traffic rules on Punekars, the Municipal Corporation has taken a step further, indeed a way further,  by appointing bouncers. This tells how mischievous punekars are about traffic.

Newez..

If Mumbai is a City of illusion – Maya Nagri then Pune is a city of Education – shikshanache Maher Ghar. Life in Mumbai is accelerated whereas life in Pune is calm, casual and smooth. As I have spent my entire life in Mumbai, I have seen Mumbai developing – first spreading across horizontally and now I am seeing it developing and rising vertically. Mumbai was born with the time gradually. Therefore Mumbai is the city of Today on the other hand Pune is the city of tomorrow. Pune is being planned and developed as the city of Future. I know Mumbai personally and I bleed Mumbai it is obvious I will compare each city to it. So one thing that annoys me the most about Pune are the dangling electric wires hanging all over the city. And one thing that annoys me the most of Mumbai is the crowd.. oooffff!!!

Whatever every city has its flaws.

But When Mumbai makes me proud about its prosperity, opportunities, glamor and its exquisiteness on the other hand Pune makes me proud about my "Marathi Bana" and my "Marathi Pana".  When Mumbai inspires me to reach for the skys pune reminds me of my soil and my roots.
Therefore in true means; I belong to Mumbai but somewhere I also relate to Pune.
JAY MAHARASHTRA.

No comments:

Post a Comment